3 cups golden sella basmati rice (best type )
550ml crushed tomatoes
100g Tomato puree
1 large tatashe
2 Scotch Bonnet
chopped onions and 1/2 medium onion
120ml vegetable oil
- soak rice in hot water for about 10-12 mins, and wash out to get rid of the extra starch
- blend ginger, garlic, scotch bonnet, tatashe and half onions. set aside
- set a medium pot on fire, add your vegetable oil, when its hot add your chopped onions and fry, the next would be your tomatoes and the puree cover the pot and allow to fry so the sour taste would be gotten rid off.
- add your blended spices, maggi, thyme, curry and salt ,add to the tomatoes sauce and stir. Taste to ensure you have enough maggi , chili and salt. (add your maggi in bits and taste so you do not get your rice too salty. close pot and cook for 5-10 mins
- add your washed rice and pour in about 400ml-500ml of water or if you have stock it would be useful, or just enough to cover the rice. cover to cook on low- medium heat. monitor your rice and check to see if the water is dry and if the rice is soft. using your spatula to dip into the rice from one corner to another, to enable the water floating at the top go down to prevent the rice from burning and sticking to the pot.
- ensure you use a pot that is roomy and sizable for the amount of rice you have to enable the rice cook evenly, unless you will have half of the rice cooked and half uncooked.
- keep checking your rice to check for softness, using your spatula. when it is soft enough and the water is dried up, remove from fire and serve .