Coconut fried rice is a very lovely twist to regular fried rice, the coconut milk added gives it a sweet and unique rich taste and flavour.
This would be a perfect Mother’s day lunch/dinner to serve your mother, Surprise her with this delicious home cooked meal. You do not always have to take her out or buy her flashy gifts, don’t forget the thought matters the most.
- 600g Rice
- Coconut milk (1 tin , 400ml)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 700g king size prawns (cooked)
- 60ml vegetable oil
- Maggi cubes
- 100g Spring onions
- Mixed bell peppers (1 of each colour)
- Carrots, Peas,Green beans, Sweet corn OR 650g mixed vegetable
- 500ml water
- 1 small onion chopped
(If using fresh vegetables, chop them and set aside, if using frozen mixed vegetables take them out and defrost.
- Soak rice in hot water, cover for about 10 minutes, wash with warm water and set aside.
- Set a large pot on fire, pour in the coconut milk, add your curry, pepper, salt, and maggi. stir and do not forget to taste. Allow to boil for about 5 minutes
- Add your rice, and mix properly, add the water , you just need enough covering just about all the rice. cook on low-medium heat. (keep an eye on your rice,you do not want to over cook the rice. )
- In a separate pot, pour in your oil, allow to heat up then add chopped onions, cooked prawns, mixed veg and peppers.
- Add seasoning, mix together and allow on heat for 6 minutes. fried rice is never nice with over cooked vegetables. be careful with the maggi and salt as you already added some to the rice..
- Add spring onions and stir, leave for another 3 minutes , then take off heat.
- combine the cooked rice and the vegetable together. you an either do it all at once, or mix in batches. I prefer mixing in batches, because pouring it all at once gets the water in the vegetables into your rice.
- after mixing it is ready to serve. serving with a side salad, bbq honey ribs