Coconut fried rice is a very lovely twist to regular fried rice, the coconut milk added gives it a sweet and unique rich taste and flavour.
- 420grams Rice
- Coconut milk (1 tin , 400ml)
- 1tsp Turmeric powder
- 380g king size prawns (cooked)
- 50ml vegetable oil
- 1medium onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1/2 tsp mixed herbs
- 100ml water or Stock
- Maggi cubes
- 100g Spring onions
- Mixed bell peppers (1 of each colour)
- Carrots, Peas,Green beans, Sweet corn OR 500g mixed vegetable
(If using fresh vegetables, chop them and set aside, if using frozen mixed vegetables take them out and defrost.
Instructions:Soak rice in hot water, cover for about 10 minutes, wash with warm water and set aside.Set a large pot on fire, pour in the coconut milk, garlic, half of your chopped onions, turmeric, pepper, salt, and maggi. Stir and do not forget to taste. Allow to boil for about 5 minutes Add your rice, and mix properly then add the water , you just need enough covering just about all the rice. cook on low-medium heat. (keep an eye on your rice,you do not want to over cook the rice. )In a separate pot, pour in your oil, allow to heat up then add chopped onions, cooked prawns, mixed veg and peppers.
- Add seasoning, mix together and allow on heat for 5 minutes. fried rice is never nice with over cooked vegetables. Be careful with the maggi and salt as you already added some to the rice..
- Add spring onions and stir, leave for another 3 minutes , then take off heat.
- combine the cooked rice and the vegetable together. you an either do it all at once, or mix in batches.
- Serve with salad or coleslaw.