Coconut fried rice is a very lovely twist to regular fried rice, the coconut milk added gives it a sweet and unique rich taste and flavour.
- 420grams Rice
- Coconut milk (1 tin , 400ml)
- 1tsp Turmeric powder
- 380g king size prawns (cooked)
- 50ml vegetable oil
- 1medium onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1/2 tsp mixed herbs
- 100ml water or Stock
- Maggi cubes
- 100g Spring onions
- Mixed bell peppers (1 of each colour)
- Carrots, Peas,Green beans, Sweet corn OR 500g mixed vegetable
(If using fresh vegetables, chop them and set aside, if using frozen mixed vegetables take them out and defrost.
Instructions:Soak rice in hot water, cover for about 10 minutes, wash with warm water and set aside.Set a large pot on fire, pour in the coconut milk, garlic, half of your chopped onions, turmeric, pepper, salt, and maggi. Stir and do not forget to taste.
- Allow to boil for about 5 minutes, then add your rice, and mix properly and add some water. you just need enough covering just about all the rice. cook on low-medium heat. (keep an eye on your rice,you do not want to over cook the rice. )
- In a separate pot, pour in your oil, allow to heat up then add chopped onions, cooked prawns, mixed veg and peppers and some seasoning. Mix together and allow on heat for 5 minutes. fried rice is never nice with over cooked vegetables. Be careful with the maggi and salt as you already added some to the rice..
- Add spring onions and stir, leave for another 3 minutes , then take off heat.
- combine the cooked rice and the vegetable together. you can either do it all at once, or mix in batches.
- Serve with salad or coleslaw.