Growing up this was one of my favourites snacks and it is perfect for a picnic or just to nibble on with a chilled drink.
400gram plain flour
1tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
200gram margarine (cold)
1 egg and 1tsp water
400g sausage meat (season light with nutmeg/salt)
• Preheat oven at 160 degree Celsius
• Put the flour in a bowl, add in the baking powder and salt and mix.
• Add margarine in small bits into the bowl of flour.
• Use finger tips to rub the butter/margarine into the flour till it becomes like crumbs.
• Add water bits by bits , till you form a dough.
• Knead the dough well, but do not over work dough. put back in the bowl and leave to rest 10-15mins.
• Lightly season sausage meat with salt and nutmeg. ( the sausage meat I bought was already seasoned)
• Now roll out the dough into a rectangle shape then scoop the sausage meat and form into a log, then fold the pastry over the meat filling to form a long roll. (You can seal with water or egg)
• Cut sausage roll into the desired length and arrange the rolls into pan covered with baking paper or lightly greased with butter or margarine.
• whisk together 1 egg and 1 teaspoon of water and brush over sausage rolls.
• Bake in oven for 30 minutes.
• Transfer to cooking rack and enjoy with a cold drink.