Buns is one of my favourite Nigerian snacks. It’s easy to prepare and unlike puff puff there is no waiting around for it to rise. I prefer my buns without eggs or milk as I try to keep it as simple as possible.
- 200g plain flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 75g sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- 145ml water
- Nutmeg or cinnamon for flavour
- In a clean bowl sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Pour in water slowly to mix dry ingredients. Once mixed leave for 10-15 minutes to rest. Do not over work your batter as it will result in buns getting too hard.
- Heat up oil on medium heat. You do not want the oil smoking hot as this will make the buns get brown quickly and the middle won’t be cooked.
- Use and ice cream scoop or your hands to scoop batter into oil. Buns will sink to bottom of your pot and will usually float to top when getting done. Fry till golden brown and serve hot.