This has been a recipe long over due on this platform. I love bulgur and I have experimented a lot with it. This is one of my favourite ways to enjoy bulgur, cooking is very identical to jollof rice.
- 2 cups coarse bulgur
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 400g Chopped tin tomatoes
- 70g tomato purée
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3. Garlic cloves chopped
- 1 cup plus 1/4 cup water or stock
- 1/2tbs blended scotch bonnet pepper
- 1/2tbs blended ginger
- 1tsp smoked paprika
- 1tsp mixed herbs
- 4 bouillon cubes
- 4 bay leaves
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- Salt to taste.
- Wash bulgur is warm water, drain and set aside.
- In a clean medium pot, pour in vegetable and turn on heat.
- When oil heats up, add chopped onions and cook until fragrant then garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds.
- Add tomato purée and cook for 4-5 minutes stirring continuously. Then add chopped tinned tomatoes along side all your seasoning, mix together. Allow to cook for 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Pour in coconut milk and water and stir along side your washed bulgur. Mix together and taste to adjust seasoning. Cook on low heat and cover with aluminium foil to seal properly so no steam escapes. Doing this will allow bulgur cook perfectly.
- Check constantly to ensure there is no burning and stir with a wooden spatula. Cooking time should be about 40 minutes as bulgur was cooked in very low heat. Bulgur should be tender and not mushy.
- Serve with any meat and salad.